10 Things to do in Central Square to Beat the Winter Blues
Posted: Feb 17, 2020
As winter wears on, it’s easy to fall into a seasonal slump. But when you live at Market Central, right in the middle of the vibrant and diverse Central Square neighborhood in Cambridge, there are plenty of activities to help keep winter blues at bay. The area has something for everyone and is host to some of Cambridge’s more premier and unique dining, entertainment and shopping options. Whether you already live in Central Square and are looking for new places to explore, or are considering making the move to the neighborhood, here are some of our favorite activities that are worth checking out:
- Dance the night away at The Middle East: A neighborhood highlight, The Middle East is a complex of adjoining music venues, restaurant/bars, and nightclub space that plays host to everyone from touring indie-rock bands to local DJs.
- Try out small-plates brunch at Little Donkey: This global tapas restaurant from two James Beard Award-Winning Chefs has a menu that changes with the seasons, allowing guests to sample cuisines from all over the world.
- Show off your gaming skills at A4cade: A perfect date-spot, this nostalgia-heavy arcade bar operates like a speakeasy out of the back of Roxy’s Grilled Cheese.
- Enjoy the theatre at Central Square Theater: This state-of-the-art theatrical facility is home to both The Nora Theatre Company and Underground Railway Theater, bringing top knotch productions to the heart of the neighborhood.
- Take in a soccer match at Phoenix Landing: This Irish pub is the go-to neighborhood spot to watch European soccer - especially if you’re a Liverpool F.C. fan - who have called Phoenix Landing their match-day home for more than 12 years.
- Do some crate-digging at Cheapo Records: This record shop has been around since 1954 and sells vinyl records, CDs and cassettes from across every musical genre you can imagine, including but not limited to Jazz, Rock, Classical, Cajun, Hip Hop and Disco. It’s a collector’s dream.
- Check out the latest works on Modica Way (a.k.a. “Graffiti Alley”): A public walkway with a stained glass canopy, “Graffiti Alley” serves as an open air gallery with walls set aside for graffiti and street artists to display their work
- Treat yourself to a pasta dinner at Pammy’s: Acclaimed restaurant Pammy’s puts a hip and modern spin on classic trattoria dishes, in a cozy yet chic restaurant space.
- Have some laughs at ImprovBoston: Founded in 1982 and hosting 20+ shows a week, ImprovBoston is New England’s biggest comedy theater and training ground, with a mission of inspiring, developing and sharing comedy in all its forms.
- Settle in with a good book at Darwin’s Ltd.: The Mass Ave outpost of this cozy, locally-owned cafe chain not only serves up coffee, but has a variety of sandwiches and makes the transition to an evening spot with a wide selection of beer, wine and coffee cocktails.
If you don’t live in Central Square but this sounds like a neighborhood you would like to call home - no matter the season - then you’re in luck: Market Central is currently leasing. Whether you’re looking for the dramatic Boston skyline views from the 19-story Watermark Central, the boutique-style atmosphere of Union House or the curated communal vibe of Link, schedule your tour today to join our community and tour our neighborhood.